Saturday, December 13, 2014

On "Good Christians" & Protest

This was originally a Facebook rant from November 25, 2014. Putting it here so it doesn't get lost on the timeline. It was written in a moment of emotion after the Ferguson grand jury decision, and I have a feeling I'll end up needing to send this out again. 

~~~~~

Since some so-called Christians feel free to text me early this morning with smug "Just Pray" & "Don't be like those devilish violent protestors" remarks, I'm just going to put this here, & you can take it how you want it: I am NOT in the mood to play nice with y'all's ignorant self-righteous asses today. What y'all NOT gon do is sit in your comfortable homes with full shopping lists ready to go fight people at Wal-Mart on Black Friday and judge my brothers and sisters in Ferguson for fighting for their rights. You are NOT going to quote cliches about "Black-on-Black" crime while ignoring that most crimes happen within communities, not outside them. By that logic, I better see an equally passionate call for an end to "White-on-White" crime, too. How dare you tell the families of victims of police brutality that it is "God's Will" that their children are murdered by this racist system, and that they are sinning somehow by expressing anger & fighting against it? If that ain't slave logic, I don't know what is. Perhaps the blue-eyed Jesus you serve compels you to cower & judge, but the brown-eyed Jesus I admire turned over tables in temples and lived boldly according to his convictions. He didn't just sit at home and pray and talk slick about the oppressed. I can't help but think some of your calls for peace and passivity are coming from a spirit of disunity, not solidarity. So, if you think you are better than protestors because you "just pray" & sit at home peacefully, stay off my phone and social media until I'm in a more congenial mood. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment